Official release from Honda Canada:
The 400,000th Acura Vehicle Sold
MARKHAM, Ontario (June 16, 2011) – Acura reports that it sold its 400,000th vehicle in Canada, marking a major milestone for the luxury manufacturer. Acura is the first Japanese luxury car company to reach this milestone in Canada.
“We want to sincerely thank our Canadian customers who have embraced the Acura brand over the past 24 years for the luxury, performance and technology of its vehicles,” said Jerry Chenkin, Executive Vice President, Honda Canada Inc. “Acura has become an integral part of Canada’s luxury car landscape since it was launched in 1987. And after nearly 25 years of sales in Canada, four of every five Acura vehicles are still on the road, which is a testament to Acura’s renowned durability.
“Another important fact is that of the 400,000 Acura vehicles sold in Canada, more than one-third of those were also built right here in Canada,” said Chenkin, who was in charge of Acura sales and marketing from 1994 to 2001.
Acura, the first Japanese luxury car manufacturer in Canada, has a proud heritage of firsts, including
- First all-aluminum body production vehicle (1990 Acura NSX)
- First variable valve timing system (1992 Acura Integra)
- First luxury car that was designed and built exclusively for the Canadian market (1996 Acura EL)
- First luxury import brand to design, engineer and assemble a vehicle in North America (1996 Acura CL)
- First in-dash, satellite-linked navigation system (1996 Acura RL)
- First dual-stage driver and passenger side airbags (1999 Acura TL)
- First 3-row luxury SUV (2001 Acura MDX)
- First electronic Drive-By-Wire throttle system (2005 Acura RL)
- First brand to offer Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® technology as standard equipment (2004 Acura TL)
- First use of acoustic windshield glass (2004 Acura MDX)
- First torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive system – Super Handling-All Wheel Drive® (2005 Acura RL)
- First brand to offer Active Noise Cancellation (2005 Acura MDX)
Acura offers a full line of technologically advanced performance luxury vehicles. The 2011 Acura lineup features seven distinctive models including the RL luxury performance sedan, the TL performance luxury sedan, the TSX sports sedan, the Canadian-exclusive CSX luxury compact sedan, the turbocharged RDX luxury crossover SUV, and the Canadian-built MDX luxury sport utility vehicle and ZDX four-door sports coupe.
[Source: Honda Canada]