Official release from acuranews.com:
All-New 2014 Acura RLX Employs an Array of New Signature Acura Technologies to Deliver a New Level of Performance, Sophistication and Driving Comfort
RLX flagship sedan offers direct-injected powertrain, exclusive Precision All-Wheel Steer, Jewel Eye LED headlights and the next generation of AcuraLink
02/14/2013 – TORRANCE, Calif
Acura announced today the all-new 2014 RLX is the most powerful, spacious, and technologically advanced sedan introduced by the luxury brand. Powered by an all-new 310-horsepower direct-injected V-6 engine, and featuring an array of Acura signature technologies, including Precision All-Wheel Steer™, Jewel Eye™ LED headlights, and the next generation of the AcuraLink® connected car system, the RLX delivers new levels of technology-enhanced performance, comfort and convenience in Acura’s flagship sedan.
Using smart packaging, advanced aerodynamics, and lightweight body design, along with fuel-saving i-VTEC with Variable Cylinder Management engine technology, the RLX delivers the most spacious five-passenger seating in its class along with a top-class EPA fuel economy rating of 20/31/24 mpg (city/highway/combined)1.
With a longer wheelbase and wider greenhouse than competing mid-luxury sedans, the new RLX delivers full-size interior space in a nimbler, mid-size luxury sedan package. The RLX boasts the longest rear-seat legroom (38.8 inches), and best front (59.6 inches) and rear (57.0 inches) shoulder room in the mid-luxury class. The RLX advanced body design makes extensive use of high-strength steel and aluminum, further aiding its outstanding fuel efficiency, straight-line performance, and superior handling agility.
The new RLX reaches higher and farther into the high-end luxury sedan market with an incredible array of advanced safety, driver-assistive, and information and media technologies, including the standard next-generation AcuraLink™ connected car system, and Multi-Angle Rearview Camera; along with available Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow and Blind Spot Information (BSI) system. Safety systems available on the RLX include technologies such as Collision Mitigation Brake System (CMBS), Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW).
Utilizing Acura’s next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ II (ACE™ II) body structure, along with seven airbags (including new driver’s knee airbag), the RLX is anticipated to earn top-level safety ratings – a 5-star NCAP Overall Vehicle Score, and IIHS “TOP SAFETY PICK+” rating, including a GOOD rating in the IIHS small overlap frontal collision test.
|RLX with Navigation||$50,950|
|RLX with Technology Package||$54,450|
|RLX with Krell Audio Package||$56,950|
|RLX with Advance Package||$60,450|
World technology firsts
- Jewel-Eye™ LED headlights enhance the RLX’s modern and distinctive appearance while providing outstanding light distribution and improved down-the-road illumination.
- Precision All-Wheel Steer™ (P-AWS) continuously monitors and calculates the correct amount of independent rear-wheel steering (toe angle) necessary to help the RLX meet driving conditions with the utmost ease and stability.
- Scheduled to debut on the 2014 RLX, Sport Hybrid Super Handling All Wheel Drive (Sport Hybrid SH-AWD) is an innovative new drive system that blends hybrid power with Acura’s advanced Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD). (More information on the RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD will be provided prior to its on-sale date.)
- Engineered by one of the world’s most premium audio companies, the available 14-speaker Krell premium audio system sets a new benchmark in automotive audio performance (RLX with Krell Audio package and RLX with Advance package trims).
U.S. Technology Firsts
- The available next-generation AcuraLink™ delivers a bevy of new information, media, convenience, and security services via embedded two-way communications and web-enabled devices, including AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™ featuring freeway traffic and all-new surface street traffic.
- The available Front seatbelt e-pretensioners use electronic controls to reduce tension for a more comfortable seatbelt experience during normal driving conditions. This is the first seatbelt tensioning system to incorporate yaw movement as well as braking.
Acura Technology Firsts
- Acura’s first direct injected engine contributes to the 3.5-liter V-6 engine’s high performance, low emissions, and 20/31/24 mpg EPA city/highway/combined fuel economy rating.1
- Double wishbone, double joint front suspension optimizes suspension geometry to significantly improve agility, driver confidence and ride sophistication.
- Agile Handling Assist uses active braking to help the driver smoothly and easily trace the desired line through a curve with smaller steering inputs.
- The available Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow allows the RLX to independently maintain a set following distance in low-speed traffic conditions, including stop and go traffic, and to initiate vehicle braking when necessary.
- The available Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) uses a camera to detect lane markings on the road and actively assist the driver in keeping the car in a detected lane.
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW) uses a camera mounted in the upper portion of the windshield to detect vehicles ahead of the RLX and audibly and visually alert the driver when it determines that a collision with a detected vehicle is imminent.
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW) uses the same windshield-mounted camera as the FCW system to detect lane markings on the road and alert the driver if the vehicle is wandering from a detected lane.
- Electric Parking Brake provides one-touch parking brake activation.
- Automatic Brake Hold maintains the vehicle’s position for up to ten (10) minutes without the driver having to maintain pressure on the brake pedal. Braking is released when the driver steps on the accelerator pedal.
- The RLX’s available retractable door mirrors can be configured to automatically retract when the doors are locked, and then automatically extend when the doors are unlocked.
- Multi-angle rearview camera with dynamic guidelines uses active guidelines that curve, displaying the amount of steering wheel input on the display to aid in backup maneuvers.
- Capless fueling eliminates the fuel cap and improves ease of fueling.
- A driver’s side knee airbag is designed to help keep the driver in a proper seating position in the event of a moderate to severe frontal collision.
RLX MODEL RANGE
There are five grades: the well-equipped RLX, the RLX with Navigation, the feature-packed RLX with Technology package, the RLX with Krell Audio package, and the top-of-the-line RLX with Advance package. Major RLX standard features by grade are as follows:
- All-new 3.5-liter Direct Injection SOHC i-VTEC® V-6 engine with
- Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) cylinder deactivation system
- Re-engineered Sequential SportShift 6-speed automatic with paddle shifters
- Precision All-Wheel Steer™
- Jewel Eye™ LED headlights
- 18-inch noise-reducing alloy wheels
- Michelin 245/45 R18 M+S all-season tires
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with Traction Control
- Expanded view driver’s mirror
- Multi-angle rearview camera
- Electric parking brake
- Smart Entry (front doors and trunk) with Push Button start
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- Heated 12-way adjustable (8-way power plus 4-way power lumbar support) front seats
- Power tilt and telescoping steering column
- 8-inch color audio/information screen
- 7-inch On-Demand Multi-Use Display™ with audible and tactile feedback
- Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink®
- Acura/ELS® audio system (10-speaker)
- XM Radio®
- HD radio
- USB port
- AUX jack
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror
- Power tilt/slide moonroof
- Tri-zone automatic climate control
- Auto on/off headlights
- Leather-wrapped shift knob
- Power door lock/unlock
- Power heated side mirrors with reverse interlocking autotilt down
- One-touch turn signals
- Capless fueling
RLX with Navigation
- Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™
- Next-generation AcuraLink®
- Color Multi-Information Display (MID)
RLX with Technology
- 19-inch noise-reducing alloy wheels
- Michelin 245/40 R19 M+S all-season tires
- Premium Milano leather seats
- Blind Spot Information system (BSI)
- Acura/ELS Studio® Premium Audio System (14-speaker)
- Acoustic glass (windshield, front and rear door windows)
- Rain sensing windshield wipers
- Power retractable side mirrors
- Smart Entry (all four doors and trunk) with Push Button start
RLX with Krell Audio
- Krell ultra-premium audio system (14-speaker)
- Expanded rear door sunshade
- Power operated rear window sunshade
RLX with Advance
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS)
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
- Parking sensors (2 front/4 rear)
- Ventilated front seats
- Heated rear seats
- Rear seat foot light
- Auto-dimming side mirror
The 2014 RLX is powered by an all-new 3.5-liter Direct Injection SOHC
i-VTEC® V-6 engine matched to a Sequential SportShift 6-speed automatic with paddle shifters. This is the first Acura production car to feature “Earth Dreams Technology,” which is comprised of a next-generation set of technological advancements to the engine, which greatly enhance both driving performance and fuel efficiency.
Rated at 310 horsepower and 272 lb.-ft. of torque (SAE net), the V-6 powerplant in the RLX develops an additional 10 horsepower and 1 lb.-ft. of torque compared to the 3.7-liter engine equipped in the RL. For exceptional drivability, the RLX’s new 3.5-liter engine produces in excess of 90 percent of its peak torque over a very broad range of engine speeds, from 2,000 rpm to 6,600 rpm.
In spite of the peak horsepower increase, the new engine has impressive EPA- fuel economy ratings for a luxury sedan, with ratings of 20 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. The 3.5-liter engine meets the stringent ULEV-2 California Air Resources Board (CARB) emissions rating.
The 2014 RLX is larger than the previous RL model in several key exterior dimensions, including width, wheelbase, and front and rear track. The wheelbase, at 112.2 inches, is two inches longer than the previous RL model, providing more rear passenger room and improving the ride quality in the process. At 74.4 inches wide, the RLX is also a substantial 1.7 inches wider than the previous RL model.
Static and dynamic rigidity and rear lateral stiffness are significantly improved. To increase stiffness and rigidity in key areas without increasing weight, 55 percent of the RLX body in white is made from high-strength steel. Hot-stamped high-strength steel is used in key areas for enhanced safety collision performance, with the added benefit of anticipated high scores in narrow offset, side impact, and roof strength tests. Extensive use of aluminum body components in key areas saves 76.1 pounds compared to traditional all-steel construction.
The 2014 RLX features the world’s first Jewel Eye™ LED headlights, which offer outstanding light distribution and excellent down-the-road illumination performance and light characteristics. The RLX taillights utilize periphery LED illumination that is both effective and highly distinctive.
The standard Precision All-Wheel Steer (P-AWS) system on the RLX continuously monitors and calculates the correct amount of independent rear-wheel steering (toe angle) necessary for driving conditions. As the industry’s first left/right independent rear-wheel toe angle control system, P-AWS uses an all-electric system that enhances driving dynamics.
In front, the RLX’s new double-wishbone, lower double-joint front suspension with Amplitude Reactive Dampers significantly improves handling agility, driver confidence and security, and ride sophistication. In back, the RLX’s multi-link rear suspension is optimized for a flat ride during cornering, confident turning capability, and a smooth ride in a variety of urban, highway and open road scenarios.
Available Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) allows the driver to set a desired speed and a distance interval behind a vehicle detected ahead, allowing the use of cruise control in light traffic. This system is combined with a new Low-Speed Follow capability, which extends the automatic following capability when traffic slows below the set speed. If the vehicle detected ahead is in range of the system and comes to a stop, the RLX will also come to a stop. When the vehicle ahead moves forward, the vehicle icon on the multi-information display will start to blink. With a press of a steering wheel-mounted button or a press of the accelerator pedal, the RLX will resume the prior set speed.
The RLX’s high-efficiency Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) enhances vehicle stability when cornering. If vehicle understeer or oversteer is detected, the system selectively reduces power and/or brakes individual wheels to help correct the condition and stabilize the vehicle.
Finally, the available Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) scans the road ahead to actively assist the driver in driving in the middle of a detected lane.
The RLX and RLX with Navigation grades feature 7-spoke 18x8J noise-reducing alloy wheels while the Technology, Krell Audio and Advance grades feature larger 19x8J noise-reducing alloy wheels. The special noise-reducing design lowers tire noise by 7-decibels across the audible frequency range.
The 2014 RLX interior is an all-new design that combines welcoming five–passenger comfort with by far the most luxury and technology ever offered in an Acura. High-end premium elements like a carefully stitched leather instrument panel cover, soft-touch materials, premium finishes and rich wood-grain accents combine with an intuitive new control layout to create a distinctive environment in tune with this luxury performance sedan’s clearly defined sporting character.
Passenger space has increased in key dimensions compared to the 2012 RL, with more shoulder room front and rear. Rear seat legroom has been increased a substantial 2.5-inches. Heated 12-way adjustable (8-way power plus 4-way power lumbar support) front seats are standard, offering all-day comfort along with abundant lateral support for aggressive driving.
Standard tri-zone climate control ensures passenger comfort throughout the cabin. Ventilated front seats and heated rear seats are standard in the Advance grade. Rich, luxurious stain-resistant Milano leather seating is standard in the RLX with Technology package and higher grades; the base grade has synthetic leather-trimmed seating.
With the expanded range of standard and available technology features built into the RLX, substantial engineering effort was put into making each feature intuitive and easy-to-use. The focal point of the new instrument panel is a large, 8-inch color audio/information screen that provides a range of useful information and access to an array of customizable features. When equipped with a navigation system, the screen positioned in this same location combines audio/information and navigation functions.
A 7-inch color On Demand Multi-Use Display™ (ODMD) touchscreen is positioned within easy reach controls the audio system and many other features. A secondary large, 8-inch color audio/information screen provides a range of useful information and access to an array of customizable features.
The RLX is equipped with the next-generation AcuraLink® cloud-based connected car system, delivering a comprehensive array of media, convenience, and security services via embedded two-way communications and web-enabled devices. AcuraLink® leverages Pandora® interface for streaming audio and the Aha™ by Harman cloud-based interface to provide users with thousands of customizable cloud-based news, information and media feeds. The next-generation AcuraLink® also delivers an array of available, subscription-based, security and convenience features, such as AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™ featuring freeway traffic and, for the first time, surface street traffic information.
The new generation of the system makes its debut in navigation-equipped trims of the 2014 Acura RLX, and will be available with three-tiers of service: the Standard Package, which is complimentary for three years, and the Connect and Premium Packages, which are subscriber-based services providing new levels of connectivity for the luxury customer.
Exceptional audio performance has long been an Acura hallmark, and in the RLX, three audio systems are offered, starting with an impressive Acura/ELS® 10-speaker sound system. In the RLX Technology grade, the Acura/ELS Studio® Premium Audio System is standard, with an advanced 14-speaker array. In the Krell Audio and Advance grades, the 14-speaker Krell system — with speakers and amplifiers engineered over the last four years by one of the most respected audio companies in world — sets a new benchmark in automotive audio performance.
New Interior Technology
- Tri-zone automatic climate control
- Multi-view rearview camera with dynamic guidelines
- 8-inch color audio/information screen
- 7-inch On-Demand Multi-Use Display™ with audio and tactile feedback
- Coded Valet Mode
- Acura/ELS® Premium 10-speaker sound system
- Available Acura/ELS® Studio® Premium 14-speaker audio system
- Available Krell 14-speaker ultra-premium audio system
- Available color MID (between tachometer and speedometer)
- Available surface-street traffic rerouting
- Available Lane Keeping Assist System
- Available Blind Spot Information (BSI) system
- Available Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow
- Available next-generation AcuraLink® (Standard, Connect and Premium packages)
- Pandora® interface
- Aha™ interface
- SMS text messaging3 function
- E-mail function
SAFETY AND SECURITY
The new 2014 Acura RLX is equipped with a long list of standard and available safety technologies. The RLX is anticipated to earn a 5-star Overall Vehicle Score from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and a “TOP SAFETY PICK+” rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), including a GOOD rating in the Institute’s new small overlap frontal collision test.
Active safety technologies include Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with Traction Control, Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW). Passive safety features include a next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ II (ACE™ II) body structure, dual-stage, multiple-threshold front airbags, front side airbags, side-curtain airbags with rollover sensors, driver’s knee airbag, front seat head restraints, and front seatbelt e-pretensioners.
The RLX is equipped with Acura’s next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ II(ACE™ II) body structure, which uses interconnected front frame members designed to absorb and redirect crash energy around the passenger cabin in a frontal collision.