Trucks Drive New Records and Acura Turns a Corner as American Honda Posts December Sales Increase
- Acura brand sales rise 2.8% in 2018, punctuated by best-ever monthly and annual truck sales
- Acura RDX has best-ever annual and December sales, its second-best month in history
- Honda brand posts best-ever annual and December truck sales with overall December increase as Honda CR-V sets all-time monthly record, topping 42,000 sales
- Accord sales jump 29.4% as passenger car sales remain strong; electrified vehicles set new annual record
Acura was one of the few luxury brands to increase sales (+2.8%) in 2018, setting records for RDX and light trucks, leading to new market share and the brand’s first annual gain since 2014.
- Acura trucks set a new monthly sales record, gaining 17.5% on 12,786 units
- RDX gained 42.2% to set a new December mark on sales of 6,838 units, the model’s 7th consecutive monthly record and second best month in history.
- MDX had December sales of 5,948 units, helping the model to its 7th straight year of 50,000+ annual sales.
- ILX and RLX sedans gained in December, with ILX up 10.7% and RLX gaining 16.1% (its best month in 2018).
- Heading into December, RDX was the #1 retail-selling model in segment in 2018, the #2 top-selling luxury SUV and the #3 top-selling model in all of luxury.
- ILX picked up more than 2 points of share in segment in 2018, while TLX outsold the BMW 3-Series, Audi A4 and key models from Lexus and Volvo.
|American Acura Vehicle Sales for December 2018|
|2018||2017||% Chg.||2018||2017||% Chg.|
|Acura Division Total||16,774||15,062||11.4%||158,934||154,602||2.5%|
|* Honda and Acura vehicles are made of domestic & global sourced parts
** Daily Selling Rate